Treatment for Piles – Various Options For Piles Treatment
Piles, also known as hemorrhoids are the enlarged veins in the rectum. In this condition veins around the anus and rectum get swollen and may cause a lot of pain and discomfort. Piles can be either internal or external. External piles are visible to the naked eye, but internal piles are not visible.
Piles can be classified into first degree, second degree, third degree and fourth degree piles depending upon the severity of the inflammation. Although, this condition causes a lot of pain, embarrassment and discomfort, it is not a life threatening disease. There are many options available for treatment for piles. The treatment options vary depending upon the type of piles.
Various Options For Treatment For piles
The drugs are the same as those prescribed for anal itching. Most of the medications contain hydrocortisone or witch hazel as the main ingredient. Other treatment for piles products include topical creams, ointments, suppositories, foam and pads. The topical products could cause many side effects like itching and burning etc. They should be applied as a thin covering and should not be used for more than a week without consulting with the health care provider. The products may contain protectants, local anesthetics and vasoconstrictors as ingredients. These products help in reducing the swelling and pain and protecting the affected area from getting exposed to stools.
Non Surgical Procedures For Treatment For Piles
If piles cannot be treated with medications, then the doctor may recommend one of the non surgical procedures mentioned below.[list style=”arrow”]
- Rubber band ligation. This is a common treatment for piles. In this procedure one or more tiny rubber bands are tied around the affected area. This helps in stopping the blood circulation to the affected area. When blood circulation is stopped, hemorrhoids get dried up and fall off. There may be slight discomfort and bleeding two days after completion of the procedure.
- Sclerotherapy. This procedure involves injection of a chemical into the piles tissue. This chemical shrinks the piles.
- Heat coagulation. Heat is used to kill the piles tissue in this procedure. Heat can be applied may be laser rays or infra red rays or bipolar rays.
- Cryotherapy. In this technique, cold temperature is used to treat inflammation in the affected veins.[/list]
Surgical Procedures To Treat Piles
Surgical procedures are usually recommended for third and fourth degree piles. The different types of surgical procedures are discussed bellow.[list style=”arrow”]
- Hemorrhoidectomy. The removal of hemorrhoids is called hemorrhoidectomy. It is considered to be the most effective surgical procedure for treatment for piles. The procedure is done general anesthesia or spinal anesthesia or sedation. Post operative side effects include urinary tract infection, pain and bleeding.
- Stapled hemorrhoidectomy. This procedure is less painful than hemorrhoidectomy. The tissue is stapled in this procedure to stop the blood flow to the affected region. The risk of recurrence is high in this procedure. Rectal prolapse is a major side effect after this surgery.[/list]
Alternative Treatment For Piles
Most people prefer to go for alternative treatments for many health issues. Piles is a not an exception. What are the alternative treatment for piles?[list style=”arrow”]
- Homeopathy. Homeopathy treatment is effective for first, second and third degree piles. Homeopathy should not be used with other medications. Surgery is not advised when you are taking homeopathy medicines. The most commonly used homeopathy medications include Collinsonia, Graphitis, Ratanhia, Hamamelis, sulphur, Vomica and Nux etc. Protruding piles is treated with application of horse chestnut. This can cause a lot of pain, but it has been proved to be effective. It should be carefully applied to avoid side effects. Homeopathy medications are very safe for pregnant women.
- Ayurveda. Ayurveda is one of the oldest treatments that has its roots in India. It makes use of herbs to treat medical problems. Ayurveda treatment for piles are used to prevent constipation, to reduce inflammation and to give relief from pain. Ayurvedic medications include Triphaita, Virechane, Gandhak, Avipattikar and Panchaskar etc. It also gives diet recommendations to get rid of constipation. Nagakesar is recommended to prevent bleeding.
- Acupuncture. It is the traditional Chinese medicine that involves treating diseases by using tiny needles in specific acupoints. Acupuncture treatment for piles is carried out by removing blood stasis.
- Yoga. Certain yoga like sarvangasana, vipritakarani, halasana and gomukhasana are very helpful in treatment for piles. They must be learnt from a registered yoga instructor to avoid wrong postures. Postures should be done correctly for full effectiveness and to avoid adverse effects.[/list]
Home Remedies For Piles Treatment
Wrong diet, poor hygiene and wrong lifestyle habits are the main causes of piles. That is the reason why natural home remedies are the best option for treatment for piles. Home remedies are very effective if tried in the early stages of piles. The home remedies include the following.
Diet to treat piles
1. Soak figs overnight in little water. Chew the figs and drink the water in the early morning in empty stomach.
2. Pomegranate juice is a wonderful cure for piles.
3. Blend a cup of milk with two ripe bananas. Drink this to avoid constipation and to get relief from pain.
4. Eat a lot of fiber rich vegetables and fruits to avoid constipation.
5. Radish should be included in salads. It can be drunk as juice.
6. Mix a teaspoon of dry mango seed powder in a teaspoon of honey. This should be eaten twice a day for the best results.
7. Make a cocktail of ginger juice, mint juice and lemon juice. Add a tablespoon of honey to this mixture. Drink this in the morning and in the night to get relief from constipation and inflammation.
8. Add turmeric powder, garlic and ginger to your cooking. Their natural antibiotic and antiseptic properties help in prevention and cure of piles.
Topical Home Remedies[list style=”arrow”]
- Apply coconut oil on the inflamed region.
- Curd can be topically applied before going to bed.
- Applying baking soda paste gives good relief from inflammation.
- Carrot juice may be applied on the area to reduce swelling and pain.
- Applying cold compression on piles is an effective treatment.[/list]
Lifestyle Changes To Treat Piles[list style=”arrow”]
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid sitting in the same place for long time.
- Avoid eating packaged foods.
- Avoid tight underwear.
- Follow a good hygiene.
- Exercise regularly.[/list]
Piles can be treated easily and effectively in the early stages. It is better to take care of piles in the early stages to avoid worsening of the condition. The sooner, the better.
Image Credits: Hemorrhoids 1st to 4th degree, by Kuebi = Armin Kübelbeck, Wikimedia Commons (Source)